"The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go"
- Dr. Seuss

Friday, June 15, 2012

Cultural Influences

Throughout my college experience, I have come to appreciate the importance of nurturing students' various cultural identities as well as promoting acceptance of multiple perspectives and viewpoints. The incorporation of multicultural literature in a school's curriculum can do a great deal for the establishment of equality within the classroom. According to the textbook The Joy of Children's Literature, books which are representative of a plethora of cultures "break the monopoly of the mainstream culture and make the curriculum pluralistic" (Johnson, 28). When I become a teacher, I will make it my resolve to provide a large arsenal of such books in order to educate them about individuals who may be of another ethnic background, socioeconomic status, religion, gender, or exceptionality. My goal will be to create an environment which values diversity, respect, and unity.

Some books which I will likely use in my classroom to accomplish such a goal are:

-Whoever You Are by Mem Fox
-The Thing About Georgie by Lisa Graff
-Everybody Bakes Bread by Norah Dooley

No comments:

Post a Comment